LetsGetChecked

Health checks without the hassle

LetsGetChecked encourages people to take control of their health through simple, self-administered home health tests. Originally focused on STI testing, LetsGetChecked was entering a stage of rapid growth: they had plans to offer a much broader range of health tests and expand their service across Europe and the United States. LetsGetChecked initially approached Zero-G to provide an updated brand identity and strategy, but this grew to include a redesign of their testing kits, website and online results platform.

My Role

I led a team of three designers that focused on the redesign of LetsGetChecked's website and results platform, where I was responsible for scoping the project, general research, interviewing users, sketching wireframes, designing the UI, developing the visual identity, building prototypes, collaborating with developers, along with a healthy dose of project management and presentations.

Research, interviews and analysis

We spent the early stages of the project getting an understanding of the existing product, the most pressing challenges facing the team, and the future growth strategy for the company and platform. We also examined the self-testing industry, and tried to get a hold of any existing user research. While LetsGetChecked had a solid foundation of analytics and some quantitative data, formal research hadn't really been undertaken—most of the learnings were from the personal experiences of the founders.

We built on this by running a series of quick interviews with colleagues and friends using the existing website. With this research in hand, we did a teardown of the existing site, and mapped out a system flow that detailed where users were consistently running into difficulty.

The key issues

From this mix of research, interviews and analysis, we drew up a list of core issues we needed to pay particular attention to during the design process:

Architecture and interaction

With those challenges in mind, we began exploring the structure of the new site and platform. Over the course of several workshops, we mapped out the overall architecture of LetsGetChecked, and identified key messages and content that needed to be available at different stages.

One of the more difficult issues was the product architecture of the testing range, as we were dealing with over 30 separate health tests—we were struggling to organise them into a coherent structure that users could understand and navigate. We ran a series of card sorts to winnow the range down into categories, but the results weren't much help—many ailments just seemed completely unrelated to each other, making grouping a nightmare.

Ultimately, we grouped half of tests into "Sexual Health", "Cancer" or "Fertility", and used "General Health" as a catchall for the remainder. While this wasn't an ideal solution, we knew from research that most users are searching for specific tests rather than browsing—we built on this by ensuring that search was front and center on the home page.

From sketches to prototypes

With a site structure established and content mapped out, I led our team in generating sketches of potential interfaces and interactions. These were critiqued and iterated on before being presented to the team at LetsGetChecked. We went through multiple rounds of feedback and iteration before developing these sketches into more detailed wireframes and prototypes.

Unfortunately, our budget was too tight for formal testing at this stage, but we still needed to make sure our decisions were working for users. To test our ideas, we roped co-workers and friends into regular testing sessions, where we validated (or discarded) ideas, interactions and key messages.

Designing the details

While our team was designing the structure of the site, Jason Delahunty led the creative direction of the brand, developing a mark and visual tone for LetsGetChecked. This identity was adapted into style tiles, which gave an indication of the look and feel of the website—this let us present and iterate on visual design without having to work up a fully designed interface.

Using these tiles as a foundation, I designed a confident, calm visual language that reinforced the credibility and professionalism of LetsGetChecked. Behind the scenes, the user interface is built on clear, scalable design principles with an emphasis on modular components.

As noted previously, one the key issues we uncovered was concerns about the difficulty of self-testing, and a general uncertainty around how the testing process actually worked. I worked with Jason Delahunty to commission a series of 'how-to' videos that walk users through the entire testing process in a calm, understandable manner.

The final design

The redesigned site drastically improves the core user experience, and addresses the key issues raised during research and testing, along with additional improvements identified during the design process.

Notable improvements we made include:

The results platform was also completely redesigned, allowing users to track current tests and access old results. This was one of the trickier sections to design, as tests varied wildly in measurements, testing information and health implications. I designed a robust interface that accommodated most test results, and created customised modules for edge cases.

The outcome

The redesigned site and platform went live in late 2016, and LetGetChecked has continued to scale and grow. Conversions on testing ranges have increased, errors in kit activation have reduced, and qualitative research shows users have a much better understanding of the core product and testing process after visiting the site. LetsGetChecked recently signed a €2.5m deal with Quest Diagnostics to integrate their testing range throughout the U.S., with the redesigned site playing a significant role in this decision.